Thursday, April 14, 2011

One Week Old!!

It is simply amazing how quickly time flies by. Amanda and I were looking at toddlers in the swings in our neighborhood today and Amanda remarked that we would  blink and Harper would be that big. I believe her. Harper has grown so much in just the past week I am amazed. I am doing my best to savor each and every moment as I know that before I realize it I'll be taking her to her first day of school or letting her take the car or watching her graduate from college (fingers crossed).

Everyday Harper changes. She spends more and more time awake and it is fascinating for me to watch her open those big eyes and begin to figure out the world. I want so badly to know what is going on in that brain as she has started to respond to specific voices and I think has begun to smile. I still feel inadequate at times but I think so much of that is just that she is really in such a helpless state. Harper is just a little alien, not really doing much of anything but eating, pooping and sleeping. And still I am mezmerized by her. Not being used to the cries of a small child I have at times thought "she doesn't like me" which I know is ridiculous. These thoughts have gotten better as the days have passed, but I think early on I just was being a little too sensitive.

Oddly, Harper seems to be very much the opposite, just taking everything in stride. She really doesn't seem to cry all that often except for the essentials like food and sleep. For me it was a milestone when she made it through a diaper change without wailing but now that behavior seems commonplace. I'd like to believe it has something to do with the fact that I have become a bit of a diaper changing grand master but I also think she is beginning to show signs of personality. When she is naked she is happy as a clam in mud. A trait I hope she gets in control before her freshman year of college or a summer at Pocono. She also does not like to be wrapped in a blanket. She is big on moving the arms and legs and around. With all this need for freedom however she does not appear restless. On the contrary, she seems quite content most of the time.

It's been an exciting week for the little munchkin. She had her first Dr.'s appointment and got all A's. We had a big grandparents dinner with both sets which provided much stimulation. She's had a car ride and we think the first stroller walk will be this weekend. Don't worry world, I am documenting every moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment