Thursday, April 21, 2011

Daddy's Little Drug Problem

 
Time sure does fly when you're having fun and not getting much sleep.

It's been two weeks now since Harper was born and she has already changed so much. We took her to the pediatrician today and she has gained nearly a pound and got a big thumbs up from her doctor. Amanda and I still feel like we don't have a clue what we are doing so the reassurance from Dr. Fogleman that we are doing a "great job" did a lot for our fragile parental egos. Although she did tell us that before I told her the story of the previous night.

I had mowed the lawn yesterday and after an early afternoon rain, the sun was high and it was very warm and humid. I guess I haven't been doing a good job of hydrating as when I was finished I came inside and had a strong headache. Headaches are not a normal occurrence for me and as I'm a bit of a wimp I was complaining and generally being a whiner. Amanda asked me to change Harper's diaper and I guess I let out a pretty audible groan (I am hoping Amanda will share her side of things) so she told me to "forget it" and went upstairs and did it herself.

15 minutes later when she came back downstairs I was still being a brat about my head and Amanda curtly told me to go upstairs and take some ibuprofen and deal with it. Reluctantly and probably very dramatically I got off the couch and went to our bedroom bath and grabbed the ibuprofen right off the counter where Amanda said it was. I took the requisite 4 pills, drank some water and went back downstairs to make dinner.

Cracked a beer and cooked some chicken on the grill and as Amanda was getting the pasta ready she got a call from her Mom and told me to go ahead and eat. Chicken was quite good actually but I was really feeling super drowsy. After I ate I actually pushed my plates out of the way and laid my head on the table. I knew this wouldn't fly with Amanda so I got up and made my way to the couch. It was everything I could do to keep my eyes open. My legs hurt. My head hurt and I was certain I was beginning to get the flu or something like it. I could hear Amanda in the kitchen banging pots and making sure I was well aware of how frustrated she was with me. But then I was getting frustrated because, well, I was sick right? and I just couldn't help right now. According to Amanda, (again she really must share her side of this) as she was cleaning all the dishes, and putting away the leftovers, Harper, who was in her swing started howling and Amanda asked me to get her. I did not. I don't really remember any of this. I think by this point Amanda was planning on kicking me out to the curb.

At some point (I think it was only 9:30 by now) I must have gotten off the couch and gone upstairs. I knew I was in for it as I had been about as worthless of a father as I could be. Next thing I remember is Amanda waking me up at 4:30am asking me to change Harper's diaper which apparently I did but have no memory of. This morning, after what felt like an incredible nights sleep, I woke up feeling a bit hungover but I had only had one beer. Thinking it might of been the combination of not having had a beer for many weeks now and the dehydration from the day before, I got out of bed and started going about my day.

Amanda and Harper slept in for a long time and finally Amanda asked me to come upstairs and look after the baby as she took a shower. I knew I had been a waste last night so I apologized to Amanda and she went into the bathroom. About a minute later she came out and said "which ibuprofen did you take last night?" I wasn't sure what she meant by "which" and I told her the one on the counter. I could see the lightbulb grow bright over her head and a smile being to creep on her face as she told me I took the Ibuprofen PM with Benadryl. "How many did you take? she asked. "Four" I said and at that point everything had become crystal clear. I had totally and unknowing drugged myself and the added beer certainly did not help matters. It seems I have been forgiven although I must admit I feel pretty guilty cause I know how I get when I am tired like that. I must have been a jerk. It has however led to a new house rule which is that Amanda from now on dispenses all drugs to Harper and me. Seems like a good idea seeing that she is a pharmacist and all.

Some other exciting things happened this week. We took Harper on her first stroll and met lots of nice people on the block. Spring is really coming fast and there are beautiful dogwoods and rhododendrons flowering everywhere. We met one little girl down the street who just turned 1 so it is nice to know Harper will have some neighborhood friends.

Car rides seem to be the ticket to get her to sleep and our proximity to the Blue Ridge Parkway I am certain will come in handy. We are also getting out and about although whose idea was it to make car seats so darn heavy. How about some carbon fiber? Oh yeah, the Sleep Sheep is our new best friend. It puts Harper, Mommy & Daddy all out lickety split.
Without the benefit of pills;)

The picture at the top of this post is of Harper in the fabled "Pennsylvania Turnpike" tshirt. The story goes that when my older brother Chris was born, my Uncle Derek (Dad's brother) was on his way to come and meet the newest Savage. Being on the road his only option for a gift purchase was at a rest area. He got a toddler T that had a picture of a tunnel and said Penn Turnpike on it. It was a little big for the newborn Chris but none the less became a legend in the family and Mom put it away for future Savages. It has now been passed down and will be worn with pride by Harper Maguire who will carry on the memory of her uncle and Irish namesake, Christopher Maguire. If you look around the collar of the shirt (click it to enlarge) you can see that Chris wore it well!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment